Table of Contents
Recently, Mixer took over tech news headlines when Tyler Blevins, better known as Ninja, announced he was leaving Twitch and would be streaming exclusively on Mixer. Honestly, his announcement on YouTube was pretty funny. But what me, and many others were left wondering is: What Is Mixer?
What Is Mixer?
Mixer is a free video game live streaming platform where anyone can broadcast their own gameplay and interact with their favorite streamers on a more personal level. Mixer was originally called Beam, which launched in February 2015. The inspiration for the name came from their FTL (Faster Than Light) Technology, which allows gaming content to be delivered in less than a second.
After the company’s launch, Beam won the TechCrunch Disrupt Startup Battlefield Competition and was acquired by Microsoft in 2016. Beam officially became Mixer in May 2017. You can learn more about the company here.
What Devices Can It Be Used On?
- Android devices running on 5.0 and higher.
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices running on iOS 10.0 or higher.
What Is The Difference Between Mixer and Twitch?
- Compatible Gaming Consoles:
- Twitch – You can stream gameplay from PS4 and Xbox One consoles.
- Mixer – Xbox One only allows Mixer streaming.
- Viewer Interactivity:
- Twitch allows less interactivity than Mixer. On Mixer, their special feature, MixPlay, allows viewers to be a part of the game. Depending on the game, you can give your favorite streamers boosts and put obstacles in their path, or just view live game stats and leaderboards.
- Platform Rewards:
- Twitch rewards viewers based on how much money they’ve spent towards supporting other streamers.
- Mixer gives rewards out based on how much time viewers have spent on the platform.
- Twitch offers Squad Streaming, allowing four channels to stream together. However, this is only available currently to Twitch Partners.
- Mixer’s co-streaming feature is available to all users, and just like Twitch, can include 4 channels. Users can also co-stream on Mixer via Xbox One.
Is It Safe For Kids To Use Mixer?
Mixer is very clear regarding age restrictions. Users who are 12 years old and younger cannot have their own channel. They can only have one if their parent owns the channel and is on camera at all times. For users who are 13-16 years old, they can have their own channel with parental consent.
Regarding viewing other streamers, Mixer streams containing mature content (18+) will say so. However, the platform does not restrict younger users from viewing it. It is up to the parents to monitor what streams their child is watching. The same goes for whom a child may be chatting with on the platform.
Overall, Mixer does what it can to protect young children from viewing mature content and creating an account without parental consent. However, as with most video live streaming platforms, there is the risk of children being exposed to sex offenders and other criminals.
Can You Make Money On Mixer?
There are various ways to make money on Mixer: Ad Revenue, Donations, Tips, Sponsorships, and viewers giving you “Sparks” or “Embers”. However, before this can begin, you must become a Mixer Partner. To do so, you must meet certain requirements such as:
- Your account must be 2+ months old and have 2000+ followers.
- Must stream 12 days or more, and more than 25 hours in a month.
- Must exemplify, “Professionalism, Uniqueness, and Community Building.”
If you happen to become a Mixer Partner, you are expected to follow certain guidelines, have a positive attitude, maintain a consistent schedule, and communicate with Mixer and your followers. Making money being a video game streamer isn’t about bringing in the $$$, it’s about being an active member of a community.
How To Create A Mixer Account
- Step 1: Decide whether you want to create your own Mixer channel or just be a viewer. If you want to be a streamer, download the Mixer Create app. If you want to be a viewer, download the regular Mixer app.
- Step 2: Go to Mixer.com, or open the Mixer mobile app of your choice.
- Step 3: Tap Sign In → Create One
- Step 4: Enter your Microsoft account information. If you don’t have one, create one.
- Step 5: You now have a Mixer Account! You can change your username and other settings by visiting your account page.
So, the big question on many peoples’ minds is, Mixer vs. Twitch: Which is the better game live streaming platform? It honestly depends on the user’s preference. When comparing Twitch vs. Mixer, Mixer does pull ahead in certain aspects such as viewer interactivity, co-streaming, and the overall user experience. At least you now know the answer to What Is Mixer?, and other questions pertaining to the platform.
Make sure to check out other gaming blogs on Digital Addicts!