The highly anticipated The Game Awards 2017 was held on December 7th. Gamers were waiting to see who the big winner would be for Game of the Year. And the winner of it was… The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. There were many other hot contenders last year including Super Mario Odyssey, Cuphead, and Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. EA’s Star Wars Battlefront II did not qualify for this year’s awards.
It’s that time of year again, and I’m not talking about the holiday season. Once again, The Game Awards declared which video game released in 2018 deserved to be crowned as the “Game of the Year”. If you tuned in last December, you surely remember that the newest entry in a long line of Zelda titles won the esteemed title. But what video game will become this year’s The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and take home the coveted award?
Will it be God of War, a reimagined version of the classic action RPG God of War games for the Playstation 2. Maybe the crown will go to the highly anticipated Red Dead Redemption 2, the western-themed adventure game that’s been in the making for almost 8 years. Perhaps Marvel’s Spider-Man will capitalize on the massive success of the superhero genre and make a statement at The Game Awards 2018. Or will a small Canadian indie-game developer steal the show with their revolutionary platformer Celeste. Find out who won the biggest award in gaming, along with the winners of many other categories below!
Here is a list of The Game Awards 2018 winners:
- GAME OF THE YEAR – God of War
- BEST ONGOING GAME – Fortnite
- BEST GAME DIRECTION – God of War
- BEST NARRATIVE – Red Dead Redemption 2
- BEST ART DIRECTION – Return of the Obra Dinn
- BEST SCORE/MUSIC – Red Dead Redemption 2
- BEST AUDIO DESIGN – Red Dead Redemption 2
- BEST PERFORMANCE – Roger Clark as Arthur Morgan in Red Dead Redemption 2
- GAMES FOR IMPACT – Celeste
- BEST INDEPENDENT GAME – Celeste
- BEST MOBILE GAME – Florence
- BEST VR/AR GAME – Astro Bot Rescue Mission
- BEST ACTION GAME – Dead Cells
- BEST ACTION/ADVENTURE GAME – God of War
- BEST ROLE PLAYING GAME – Monster Hunter: World
- BEST FIGHTING GAME – Dragon Ball FighterZ
- BEST FAMILY GAME – Overcooked 2
- BEST STRATEGY GAME – Into the Breach
- BEST SPORTS/RACING GAME – Forza Horizon 2
- BEST MULTIPLAYER GAME – Fortnite
- BEST STUDENT GAME – Combat 2018
- BEST DEBUT INDIE GAME – The Messenger
- BEST ESPORTS GAME – Overwatch
- BEST ESPORTS PLAYER – Dominique “SonicFox” McLean
- BEST ESPORTS TEAM – Cloud9
- BEST ESPORTS COACH – Bok “Reapered” Han-gyu
- BEST ESPORTS EVENT – League of Legends World Championship
- BEST ESPORTS HOST – Eefje “Sjokz” Depoortere
- BEST ESPORTS MOMENT – C9 Comeback Win In Triple OT vs FAZE
- CONTENT CREATOR OF THE YEAR – Ninja
As you can tell, God of War ended up being this year’s Game of the Year. However, Red Dead Redemption 2 took home the most 2018 Game Awards.
During The Game Awards 2018, there were also some new video game trailers revealed for Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, Far Cry: New Dawn, Persona 5 Joker, New Dragon Age, Mortal Kombat 11, Rage 2, Anthem, The Outer Worlds, The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe, Fortnite: The Block, Stranger Things 3: The Game, The Last Campfire, and Hades. To view these video game trailers, click here.
To see the list of The Game Awards 2018 Winners and coverage of it, visit TheGameAwards.com.
Check our blog: 30 Beloved Backward Compatible Xbox Games