Table of Contents
- 1 What Is A Trojan Virus?
- 2 How To Remove Trojan Virus From Windows 10
- 3 How To Avoid Trojan Viruses In The Future
Even though the internet is used every day by people, doesn’t mean it’s without any dangers. There’s hackers, identity thieves, spyware, and most importantly, trojan viruses. Once these viruses and other malicious software programs invade your computer, the only way to stop them from causing damage is by removing them as soon as possible. We discuss below what a trojan virus is, how to remove trojan virus from windows 10, and how to protect your device in the future.
What Is A Trojan Virus?
A trojan virus hides in plain sight. It’s a type of malware that pretends to be a real app, program, software, or anything else someone is likely to download on their device. They can also be used to download other malware like adware and spyware as well. There are many types of trojan including Trojan SMS, Spy, Dropper, Backdoor, Exploit, and more.
How To Remove Trojan Virus From Windows 10
1. Windows Defender Advanced Scan
- Step 1: Press the Windows Start icon, search Windows Defender Security Center, and click on that.
- Step 2: Press the menu icon on the top left sidebar, and then Virus & threat protection.
- Step 3: Choose Advanced Scan, and check off Full Scan.
- Step 4: Click Scan Now, and the threat scan will start. Then, just wait to see if any Trojan viruses are found.
When the Windows PCDefender scan is complete, any viruses will be quarantined and removed from your device.
2. Windows Defender Offline Scan
- Step 1: Click on the left sidebar menu icon and then on Virus & threat protection.
- Step 2: Check the Windows Defender Offline Scan box and click Scan Now. The program will then start scanning and let you know if any viruses are found.
During this process, your device will need to restart for a lengthy amount of time.
3. Use AVG Antivirus Software
Yes, you can rely on Windows Defender to find any viruses. However, it couldn’t hurt to use an antivirus software as well. AVG offers both free and paid antivirus software that you can download to your Windows PC.
- Step 1: Visit their site to download their free or paid antivirus software.
- Step 2: Follow the prompts to install the software.
- Step 3: Once installed, open and run your AVG program.
- Step 4: Click on the scan tab, Scan PC, to run a scan of your computer.
4. Safe Mode
Sometimes, trojan viruses may prevent your antivirus scan software from running a scan and quarantining any malware infection on your computer. To overcome this, you will need to load your computer in Safe Mode. Once this is done, your computer virus scanning software should start working.
- Step 1: Press the Windows icon + R.
- Step 2: Type msconfig and press OK.
- Step 3: Tap the Boot tab. Under options, check off Safe boot.
5. Reset Your PC
When in doubt, uninstall and reinstall Windows 10 by resetting your device. However, use this option as a last resort and make sure to backup your files before doing so.
- Step 1: Press the Windows Start icon, search Reset this PC, and click on that.
- Step 2: Choose Get Started.
- Step 3: Follow the directions provided to reset your PC.
- Step 4: Once reset, upload your files and install Windows 10.
- Step 5: Run Windows Defender to make sure no remnants of the Trojan virus remain.
How To Avoid Trojan Viruses In The Future
1. Make Sure Your Device Is Up-To-Date
Viruses can easily infiltrate your device when it has system flaws due to outdated software. Check your system updates weekly to make sure your device has the latest software.
2. Don’t Download Anything From A Third-Party
If it’s not from the main company who created it, don’t download the software, app, program, etc. These other parties could be fake and possibly be trying to steal your device’s information.
3. Have Windows Defender Run & AVG Automatically
Set your Windows Defender and/or AVG antivirus to run periodically, so your device is being scanned frequently enough. As a tech user myself, I know users often forget to scan their devices, leaving them vulnerable to online threats.
So, if you believe your device may be infected, follow these steps on how to remove Trojan virus from Windows 10. In the future, also take the necessary precautions so it doesn’t happen again.