Table of Contents
Social networking sites give their users the freedom to choose whichever username or handle they desire provided that it’s not yet taken by another user. In this article, we’ll be walking you through how to change usernames on the most commonly used social media platforms.
How To Change Your Name On Facebook
Facebook has a set of username rules. Symbols, numbers, and unusual capitalization are not allowed. Also, using characters from multiple languages, titles of any kind, and offensive words are strictly prohibited.
Below is the step-by-step procedure on how to change your name on Facebook. Note that when you change your Facebook account name, you can’t change it again for another 60 days.
- Click the drop-down arrow icon (desktop) or the burger icon (mobile) on the top-most right corner (no need to click on the Facebook profile icon).
- For desktop, select Settings. For mobile, select Settings & Privacy → Settings.
- Under General Account Settings (desktop) or Personal Information (mobile), click on Name.
- Make your desired changes, and click Review Change.
- Enter your account password (as a security precaution), then click Save Changes.
How To Change Your Instagram Name
On Instagram, you can have a display name that’s different from your username. Your IG display name appears below your profile picture. The Instagram username is an account identifier, indicating the URL directing to your Instagram account.
Here’s how to change your Instagram names.
- Navigate to your IG profile by tapping on your profile picture on the lower-most right corner.
- Click Edit Profile.
- Make the necessary changes to your Name (display name) or Username.
- Click the “check” mark on top. If you are changing your username, Instagram will let you know if it has or hasn’t been taken.
How To Change Your Twitter Username
A Twitter username, also known as a Twitter handle, starts with the “@” sign. You can also have a display name that’s different from your username. Changing your names will not affect your existing followers or direct messages. It’s advisable, however, that you notify your followers so they can DM or tag you using your new username. This is because once you’ve changed your username, it becomes available for another user’s use.
Below are the steps on how to change your Twitter username.
- If you’re on mobile, tap your profile picture. If you’re on desktop, select the More option on the left pane of your Twitter account.
- Choose Settings and privacy
- For desktop, tap on select Your account → Account Information. You may be asked to enter your account password.
- For mobile, tap on Account → Username
- Update your username and click Save.
Should you wish to update your display name, tap Edit Profile after clicking on your profile picture. On this page, you may as well customize your overall profile.
How To Change Your Snapchat Username
Snapchat doesn’t allow username changes. Nevertheless, we’ve found an alternative way on how to change your Snapchat username through a custom display name.
- Launch your Snapchat app then tap on your profile picture.
- Click on the gear icon located at the top-right corner.
- On the next page, you’ll see Name and Username. Choose Name.
- Apply the necessary changes (you can leave the last name field blank if you wish to).
- Hit the Save button.
If covering your username using a personalized display name doesn’t work for you, unfortunately, there’s no other option available other than creating a new account.
How To Change Your TikTok Username
TikTok is one of the most popular social media apps used today. It is possible to change your username, but take note that username changes are only allowed once every 30 days.
- Once logged in, click on the Me icon located on the bottom-right corner of the TikTok app.
- Once directed to your profile page, select Edit Profile.
- Tap Username.
- Enter your new desired username. TikTok will let you know if it has been taken. Then hit Save.